This afternoon I chat with someone over facebook, something that I rarely do actually. The conversation from a simple question of “how’s your day ?” grew becoming something that is quite interesting. My friend commented that “every day is special“.
That is either a very positive remarks, or perhaps a confession of faith, which many of us hope it is true :-). But commenting that I honestly said to her that not all the time I feel every day is special. Maybe the ratio is 80:20, where 20% of the time, I just feel my daily life is just ordinary (nothing special).
After we ended our chat, I asked myself whether I can truly say that everyday is special. So before I went deeper I started searching the definition of the word “special”. You can try this on your own using Google or go this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/special
And this is what I got:
1. of a distinct or particular kind or character: a special kind of key.
2.being a particular one; particular, individual, or certain: You’d better call the special number.
3.pertaining or peculiar to a particular person, thing, instance, etc.; distinctive; unique:
the special features of a plan.
4.having a specific or particular function, purpose, etc.:a special messenger.
5.distinguished or different from what is ordinary or usual:a special occasion; to fix something special.
6.extraordinary; exceptional, as in amount or degree; especial:special importance.
7.being such in an exceptional degree; particularly valued:a special friend.
8.pertaining to people with singular needs or disabilities, or to their education:
disabled students with special needs; state funding for special schools.
9.a special person or thing.
10.a train used for a particular purpose, occasion, or the like.
11.a special edition of a newspaper.
12.Theater. a spotlight reserved for a particular area, property, actor, etc.:Give me the coffin special.
13. a temporary, arbitrary reduction in the price of regularly stocked goods, especially food; a particularly worthwhile offer or price: The special this week is on sirloin steaks.
14. Television. a single program not forming part of a regular series.
The definition is more than one, but pretty much it gave me the idea what special truly means. When I say “a special day”, it means:
1. A day that is different from the ordinary ones.
2. A day that is particularly valued or exceptional.
Let’s go back to the main topic “every day is special” and lets use a little bit of logic then. From the definition, the word special is a product of comparison. If special is extra ordinary then it will not exist without ordinary. If everyday is special then this statement can be flawed logically, because there will be no ordinary day, and if there is no ordinary day, then as results extra ordinary day can not exist too. Simply because it has nothing to compare to.
BUT… if we analyzed “special day” from a different perspective… by including context and deeper understanding. Then we may get a different result. My argument is as follows:
1. When we decide something is special or not, we have to go through a step called assessment. And that assessment CAN BE SUBJECTIVE.
2. My day IS NOT your day though we share the common resource called time.
3. There are no 2 days identical ever been produced.
4. Also take note that the word special should be emotionless by meaning. So special is not happiness, special is not excitement, special is not sadness, etc. Special is just simply different from the ordinary.
By looking at those few data, theoretically I can not say that “everyday is special” because of the subjective nature. But I can say “MY everyday is special” if I truly feel that way.
MY PERSONAL VIEW
After analyzing that, the basic question still remains: DO I FEEL MY EVERY DAY IS SPECIAL ?
After contemplating this, I conclude that YES, MY EVERY DAY IS SPECIAL. Because:
1. I can only exist at one place at one time, bound by time and space. The space is where I am right now and that time is PRESENT. I can only compare 2 things objectively IF BOTH CAN BE ASSESSED AT THE SAME TIME. If I tried to compare my present against my past then it will be unfair to my past because there will be missing data all over the place. So I live in the present, and this present of mine is something that I feel grateful about, and hold my 100% consciousness. Because of that I cultivate a positive mind only to focus in the good things of my life. What I remember the most about my past are only the good memory. I still somehow can remember my past failures, sadness, etc but not in such great details compared to my good memories :-).
2. If we use another source to define “special”, and you can try this by typing “define:special” at Google, you will find this:
1.better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual. “they always made a special effort at Christmas”
synonyms: exceptional, unusual, singular, uncommon, notable, noteworthy, remarkable ,outstanding, unique
there is a definition of “better”. Because I can be very sure only about the PRESENT, I believe that my PRESENT is MY BEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE. This is maybe subjective, but it shapes the idea that MY TODAY IS BETTER THAN MY YESTERDAY because I no longer remember 100% what my yesterday was like. My 100% consciousness is in THIS MOMENT.
3. The word “special” has also a synonym “unique”. Well every day is surely unique for me, as far as I can remember.
4. Now I use faith. And my source is the word of God. I believe that my life today is the GIFT from God, and my God is the God of increase. So my God always gives me better things than before. So my tomorrow will be better than my today too. But I also need to ensure that I have to be responsible with my life even though His grace will always outperform my best effort.
Because my every day is unique, my today is better than yesterday, and I believe God only gives me good things for me, then to me YEAH, MY EVERYDAY IS SPECIAL.
THE BIBLE’S VIEW
BUT if we look at the BIBLE, it never mention about SPECIAL DAY. But it says:
This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.
1 Corinthians 10:31
Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
It is up to us whether we want to perceive everyday is special or not. But what the most important is WHAT WE WILL DO WITH IT. What will we use our time for. And as the Bible said, we should USE IT to rejoice, be glad, and do all things for the glory of God.
There is no right or wrong about our subjective argument that “EVERY DAY IS SPECIAL”. But what most important is we can link our day back to God.
All glory to God the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit.
To give comments: CLICK HERE.
You can share this article through the media below.